Thursday, August 27, 2009

I don't think it's a problem...yet.

On Tuesday Sam, Joe and I headed out for a little playground & picnic. Perkins Peir is the marina right down the street from our old rental house. While I was pregnant with Sam, we walked down nearly every night for the sunset. At the time I barely noticed the small playground.



I must say, it's a hidden gem. Hardly ever crowded. As I sat there, watching Sam swing, and the moored boats rock back and forth on the water, I decided we would be coming here more often.



And as if on cue, I hear "Mama! Look at the TRAIN!" And sure enough, as Sam steadied his swing to look, one of the big industrial locomotives pulled out of the small rail yard next to the pier. Really? Playground, boats AND trains?! It's was like Sam won the lottery or something. He was quite beside himself.

And to top it off, he fed the ducks. Unanimously getting the awesome vote.



Yes, unanimously. Though all the other highlights were lost on him, Joe gives anything a thumbs up as long as there are Cheerios.



So what's this problem? Allow me to explain. This could probably be it's own blog post, but it all happened on the way to the peir so....anyway.

The prior day, Monday, we hit Recycle North. I go there a lot. More and more often, it seems. This time I bought a book of silly children's poems (25¢). No biggee. I swore that after the chair, no more furniture. Well, then I saw this.



$7. So now we have a new lamp.

No problem, right?

Well, on Tuesday, when we walked to the pier, Recycle North is on the way. As we approached, I swore we would not stop. We don't need to, we don't need anything. But as we walked by, I saw a little desk sitting in the parking lot, where the new drop offs are placed. We have been looking for a smaller desk to get rid of our huge ugly orangy-wood desk. So I veered right and headed on in. The desk was nothing special, but could be nice if we changed the hardware and painted it.

But what I saw BEHIND the desk is what really caught my eye. So I went inside to inquire. How much?

The desk, $20.



Not bad right? Sold.

And $40 for this....



FORTY. BUCKS. Not that we have a place for it. But isn't it beautiful? Mahogany and barely a ding in sight. I told Jay if we don't find room, I could always sell it on Craigslist for $100 or more.

So if you're counting, that is 4 new pieces of furniture in the last week (I just realized it's 5 if you count the table from Cyndi). I keep this up, well, I can't keep this up. That's my point. Only like $75, but still, I don't have $75 to spend on stuff we don't really need. And the chair and desk are now projects, on top of the gazillion we already have in queue. And our house really isn't that big. So I have to lay low for a while. Because I know, if I go, there will be a gorgeous Hoosier Cabinet for $50, that I don't have room for but will be totally unable to say no to.

It's probably sitting there right now.

No comments: