Friday, August 11, 2006

All I want for a shower present is a normal immune system.

No? Ok, I'll settle for one of these...

Yes, as some of you have probably heard from my worried mama, I have yet more strange developments on my body. This time its a big lump on the side of my knee. Its red and swollen and quite painful. The doctor told me that if it wasn't better in 24 hours, she didn't want me to travel. After 24 hours it wasn't, so I called my mom and her head exploded.

Just kidding. But the thought of a Baby Shower without a baby was disappointing at best. I told her it looked the same, though I must admit, it even looked a little worse. But the doctor told me to call her Friday morning, which is technically 36 hours. So cursing my immune system, I popped another antibiotic and did a little "Shrink the Thing in my Leg Dance" and went to bed. And it's a Baby Shower miracle! Praised Be the benefits of sleep and smelly orange pills! Oh, it's still there, and it still hurts, but at least when I called the doctor this morning and told her it was better, I wasn't lying.

So now I get to fly! Which seems like it may be just a stressful as staying home. At least the little guy isn't around yet, or I might have to do shots of breast milk in front of long lines of annoyed travelers.

All this drama gave me a reason to blow off my temp job today. I started yestederday and it was a nightmare! I am whoring myself out for $10/hr to help with a "mass mailing." I figured this meant stuffing envelopes. Whatever, I'm not doing anything else, right? Well, it was more like packing and shipping. Boxes of books and brochures to be packaged up and Fed Exed all over the state. I was on my feet all day. And having to carry stuff. Not good. The lifting wasn't constant, and I could tell the supervisor was a little concerned. But I made sure I wasn't overly exerting myself.

(This is my plea to not yell at me....believe me, I wouldn't do anything to jeapordize the little guy, it just wore me out...they were like 25 pounds and small...please don't yell at me. I know. I know.)

But it wasn't ideal. My feet hurt, my back hurt and all I wanted was to sit. I was also heading to bathroom every hour to check on my leg, which was as red and swollen as ever. On the way out I told the supervisor I had a developing medical situation that I had to deal with Friday, so I wouldn't be in. She was super cool about it. I told her that I would understand if she wanted to call the temp agency to get someone else, but she said I was so speedy, I did two days of work already. I'm supposed to work for 4 days . I plan to go back on Monday and Tuesday. We did all the big orders first, so by then it should just be filling large envelopes, while seated. And don't worry, I plan to call my temp agency and tell them that I will no longer take jobs that require me to stand all day long.

I still don't know what is up with my leg. Bug bite? Hope so, that would be easiest thing for my body to fight. Bruise, I definitely don't think so. The most likely culprit is a bacterial infection of some sort that either entered through a Shingles blister (nice) or through my swollen cracked pregnant feet (even better). Apparently, my immune system is not up to the task of fighting off much of anything. I've taken to washing my hands alot and not walking around the house barefoot. I'm sure these steps will be effective as I breathe in recycled air for an hour and a half.

But I'm super happy to be going home for the baby shower. It would have been really depressing to be quarentined in Vermont and watching the festivities via iChat, which was the back up plan. But now we get to mingle in the flesh, where everyone can see my new horrific haircut. In the words of my sister-in-law Amy...there's something about being a mom that makes all the hairdressers want to turn you into a SunnyD commercial.

Amen sister.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I hope you have a great time.