Monday, February 09, 2009

empire built (and destroyed) in a day

With the cold temperatures over the last couple weeks, the boys and I have remained pretty house bound. Not very much fun for anyone. It has led to a good deal of tantrums, lots of bored eating and way too much television consumption. I've done my best to come up with some indoor activities. I've researched online a bit to find different things we can do. Nearly all are some sort of craftyness, requiring messy materials and being in one place for more than 3 seconds. Well, you've seen what he does with crayons. Sam isn't quite to the age where he grasps the "no, don't throw paint" or "please don't dump the glitter over your head." And frankly, he doesn't sit still long enough to even get set up to do these things. Believe me, I've tried.

He's a mover and a shaker. Not the contemplative artistic sort. More of the acrobatic, human cannonball sort. He likes to dance, so that's about 15 minutes taken care of. We throw the ball alot. Or kick the ball. Or try and balance the ball on our heads. Lots and lots of ball activities. Not always great with a 3 month old to be held and nursed. But when I disengage from the ball activities he tries to scale the shelves or throw himself off the back of the couch. Often when I sit down to nurse Joe, I have to just watch him go unhindered and forge a path of destruction throughout the house.




But once he's done emptying every container of it's contents and removing and pulling all the cushions off the couch, we do the only thing left to do.

Build a fort.












2 comments:

Purl Scout said...

been there. soooooooooooooooooooooooo been there.
to rememdy at least a good hour of our VERY LONG DAYS we got a mini trampoline from toys r us online. $75 was never in the history of time itself spent more wisely.
may i suggest one for young sam? see it here...
http://flickr.com/photos/southhollisqueen/3259876563/in/photostream/
its garish in design but really gets some of the crazy out.

Anonymous said...

That thing is pretty awesome. I've seen the round ones in the One Step Ahead catalog, with the little bar to hang onto, but I think I like the bike-like design much better. Seems like it would take up less space...and perhaps the smaller jump area will keep him from trying to perfect his triple Lindy.