Monday, February 06, 2006

What does the groundhog know that we don't?

This coming weekend I will be traveling to Florida to meet up with my Dad! Aside from the excitement of seeing my Dad and sister, I would relish the thought of departing the cold snowy New England winter to the relatively warm and sunny Florida winter! But, due to the bizarre meteorological patterns of late, it will not be the temperature upgrade I would expect. And I must admit, it's kind of a disappointment. The glory is in the contrast, and going from 45 degrees to 60 is nothing to get giddy about.

It is notably warm here. There is no snow on the ground, which for February, is mind boggling. There is a lot of chatter about Global Warming and El Nino (or that other one, the opposite one...the female one?), but no one really has a solid explanation of what's going on.

At least not one I can muster the attention span to comprehend.

The most popular explanation is that there is a lack of Artic air coming down from the north. Well, duh. But why not? I have no clue. Sure, jet streams and ocean currents are in play. Perhaps something to do with...um, pressure and dew points? I don't really pay attention to the weather people when they start getting all technical. I roll my eyes as they try to establish that they are actually scientists, and not just some kind of spokes-models for clouds. I don't watch the weather to learn anything except whether wet stuff will be falling from the sky, and on to my head.

What I do know, is that the birds are confused, as are the crocuses. Little green shoots and small buds are beginning to pop. Don't they know it's only February? Surely Mother Nature has a cruel joke in the works.

After all, the groundhog says so. Now that's a forecast I can understand.

1 comment:

MarylandMommy said...

Have fun in Florida.....I am jealous!!!