Saturday, July 04, 2009

Happy 3rd of July.

We had every intention of going to the fireworks this year. Sure, it may scare Joe a bit, but then again, he sleeps through just about anything. We haven't gone since Sam was born. But we agreed. This year, we. will. go. We can be patriotic, dammit.

Might have been a good idea to check the schedule. After the boys were asleep last night , I ran out to the gas station to pick up some beer (happy birthday America!) It was raining pretty good. And everywhere, EVERYWHERE, there were people pushing strollers, carrying umbrellas, and walking. Crossing the street, all headed in the same direction. What? Then it hit me. Fireworks. Crap.

Silly me. I just assumed the fireworks would be on the FOURTH of July. Not so. I suppose my assumption has to do with growing up in DC. If anyone ever proposed to move them to the 3rd, well, that would just be ridiculous. I have noticed previous years around here, that they don't always fall on the actual holiday, and it kinda perplexed me. Maybe if it's in the middle of the week...sure, the night before makes sense. But the Fourth is a Saturday this year. Then I talked to my Dad and apparently, the fireworks people charge alot less on the off days. Ah, it all makes sense now.

So I'm blaming those penny pinching politicians. All their fault.

So, anyway, we didn't go. I wasn't about to wake up two sleeping boys and drag them out in the rain to be bombarded by explosions and sonic booms. Pretty sure that would have been a nightmare. But don't worry, we're still having fun. Grilling tonight and we already made a trip to the park. It's a little muddy, but nothing the froggy boots can't handle.

No comments: