Monday, March 19, 2007

wo bu xihuan chi rou!

I spent a lot of time fretting over what to do if Sam decided to be difficult on the plane. I had toys, pacifiers and a carefully chosen song repertoire. Luckily, none of it was needed. In his standard form of “showing off for strangers”, he slept the entire time. Yes, Lady Sitting Behind Me, I do have the most marvelous baby! Of course she didn’t know about the poop explosion 20 minutes before boarding (um, NO CHANGING TABLES in the airport bathroom? Do they want poopy babies on the plane?). And the scream fest on the drive home from the airport (he woke up in the carseat and was starving). My father probably didn’t realize Old McDonald had owls on his farm, but when you run out of barnyard animals, you have to improvise.

The trip was great. Grandma and Grandpa had lots of quality time with Sam. I took complete advantage…eating when I want, going to the bathroom when I want, and even showering on a whim! Heaven.

I even got to go hang out and have lunch with my friends the day after the shower. And I had a Margarita! Which made me tipsy…. The shower was beautiful. Jess got loads of stuff. The next day I got the see the nursery and the drawers of already acquired and hand-me-down baby clothes. I don’t think she’ll ever have to do laundry. And if they decide to just have one, she can put the girl through college reselling all the stuff on ebay.

It was so great to see my girls. It always makes me happy, but then it makes me sad. Everyone seems so far away. Luckily Jess lives near my folks, so there is always a trip in the future, but Pam is on the other side of the country.

My mom took some good pictures, but something is up with blogger and they don't want to load. So I'll try again later.

In house news, we close next Thursday! J doesn't know this because I just spoke to the lawyer and J is currently on a plane to Taiwan. He'll be spending pretty much the next 24 hours in coach. I do not envy him. But he's getting to see a part of the world that I'll probably never make it to, so there is soemthing to be said about that. He packed about 2 dozen granola bars after talking to his collegue who's already there. He had fish-head soup for dinner last night. Anyone who knows J, knows he is not very adventurous with his food. He's already memorized how to say "chicken" and "I am a vegetarian" in Mandarin.

I suppose that is it. It was a great trip to DC. Sam and I get to see Grandma and Grandpa again at Aunt Danielle's wedding in a couple weeks! It's been so great seeing them. Even though they're far away, direct flights make it seem like they're just an hour or two away. Of course flying to Florida will be a different story. Wish us luck.

No comments: